General Information

If you have been accepted to study at a Mexican institution for a course longer than six months, you will need to apply for a Temporary Resident Student Visa. 

All visas are processed at the Mexican Embassy (14 Perth Avenue, Yarralumla, ACT 2600). The physical presence of the applicant at the Embassy is an absolute requirement.

Temporary Resident Student Visas are valid for six months and include one entry. Once you enter Mexico, you will need to exchange your visa for a temporary resident student card at the National Migration Institute (INM) within the first month after your arrival. This card will allow you to stay in the country for more than six months and includes multiple entries into Mexico.

Important: Australian passport holders DO NOT need a visa to undertake studies for under 180 days in Mexico.



  1. Visa application form, which can be downloaded through this Link.
  2. Current passport with a minimum validity left of six months.
  3. One passport size photograph with white background and visible facial traits (i.e. hair not covering the face).
  4. Copy of valid Australian visa (for non-Australian citizens), as proof that you are legally residing in Australia. NOTE: All applicants must be legally in Australia at the moment of applying for a Mexican visa.
  5. For applicants under 18 years of age, birth certificate and official IDs of the parents or legal guardians.
  6. Original and a photocopy of the letter of acceptance from the institution where the applicant intends to study. This letter MUST include:
    • Full name of the applicant.
    • Level, degree and area of study that will be pursued.
    • Name of the course to which the applicant has been accepted.
    • Start and end dates of the course.
    • Cost of school fees/tuition, specifying clearly if the tuition will be waived or if there will be any financial assistance offered.
    • Contact information for the educational institution.
  7. ONE of the following supporting documents:


    • Proof of regular, steady income for each and every single one of the past three months, counting backwards from the date of the appointment (or the most recent possible), of at least 100 minimum daily wages in Mexico City (totalling $14,170.00 MXN, equivalent to approximately $950.00AUD after taxes). Income has to be substantiated by presenting payslips/scholarship payments and bank statements that match the deposit of that income into your bank account.
    • Bank or financial statements showing an average monthly balance of at least 1000 minimum daily wages in Mexico City (totalling $141,700.00MXN, equivalent to approximately $9,500.00AUD) in savings or investments for each and every single month over the past three months, counting backwards from the date of the appointment (or the most recent possible). The statements must be stamped by the issuing bank/financial institution and show the monthly balance of each and every month. If the statements are issued by a bank or financial institution outside of Australia, you must include an official letter in English or Spanish from the issuing institution stating the equivalent of your savings/investments in AUD or Mexican Pesos and providing contact details of a representative that can confirm the validity of the statements.
    • Documents showing that the applicant has received a scholarship to undertake his/her studies in Mexico. An original letter from the educational institution proving the awarding of the scholarship is needed. The amount of the scholarship must be quantifiable (shown in AUD or Mexican Pesos), and be clearly stated.


    Important: If the applicant is under 25 years old, financial solvency can be accounted for by his/her parents by providing the documents mentioned on A) or B) and the birth certificate of the applicant.

    Only official, original bank statements are accepted. If they are provided in electronic form, they need to be printed and stamped by the bank. Online transactions listings are generally not accepted as proof of financial solvency, unless they have been printed and certified (stamped) by the relevant bank. The original statements or the electronic statements certified (stamped) by the bank will need to be provided at the interview at the Embassy.

    Documents that are not in either Spanish or English need to be accompanied by a certified translation into Spanish. Furthermore, any official documents that are not issued by Australian authorities need to be legalized/apostilled.


How to apply

  1. Choose a date and time for an appointment via MEXITEL: LINK-MEXITEL. NOTE: you can change the language of MEXITEL by clicking on the flags on the upper right corner. If more than one person will apply for the visa, each applicant must have their own appointment.
  2. On the day of the appointment, you will be required to appear before the Embassy of Mexico with your passport, visa application form (with the passport sized photo affixed to it) and all supporting documents (original and copy) for a consular interview. There is no visa processing done online or through post.
    NOTE: The original passport, complete visa application form, photograph and all other supporting documents must be brought to the embassy on the day of the appointment.
  3. On the day of the appointment, the biometric data (photograph and fingerprints) will be taken, the visa fee will be paid and the consular interview will be held. After the consular interview, the applicant will leave all documentation at the embassy, including their passport, for processing.
  4. Within three days of the consular interview, you will be notified by phone or email if the visa will be granted. After the notification, the passports will be ready for collection at the embassy. If you cannot collect the passport in person, you can either give someone else a simple authorisation letter (signed by you and them, and with a copy of their ID) or leave a self-addressed prepaid Registered Post or Express Post “signature on delivery” envelope at the embassy, which will be used to send your passport back, under strict responsibility of the applicant.



  • Consular fees are updated every month and you are required to check the updated fee before your appointment through the following link link .
  • Visa fees, regardless of whether the visa is issued or denied, must be paid on the day of the appointment.
  • Visa fees will have to be paid by either electronic transfer or in exact cash/denominations on the day of the appointment. Card payments are not accepted.



  • Temporary Resident Visas with work permit have a validity of six months from the day they are issued.
  • Upon arrival in Mexico, the Temporary Resident Student Visas must be exchanged within the first 30 days at the National Migration Institute (INM) for a temporary resident card. More information here (in Spanish): Expedición de documento migratorio por canje .


Additional information to take into consideration

  • Meeting the minimum requirements to apply for the Temporary Resident Student Visa does not guarantee that the visa will be approved. Further information might be requested by the consular agent in charge of processing your application.
  • Due to high demand, we advise you to start your visa application at least ONE month ahead of your planned travel date.
  • We strongly advise NOT to make any travel arrangements until a decision on your visa has been made. The embassy will not take any responsibility for any plane tickets purchased before your visa has been approved.
  • Once you arrive in Mexico, you must present your visa at the National Migration Institute (INM) within the first 30 days of arrival, in order to receive a temporary resident student card. More information here (in Spanish): Expedición de documento migratorio por canje.
  • If you are considering taking your household items with you (furniture, clothing, other articles for personal use) and you are granted a Temporary Resident Visa, you will be eligible to apply for a certificate for the exemption of taxes on the household goods (menaje de casa). You can learn about the requirements and how to apply for the certificate here: Certificate of Household goods .


Familiar Unity

  • Spouses and children of holders of Temporary Resident Student Visa/card of Mexico, can apply for a Temporary Resident Visa on the basis of familiar unity. More information here: Temporary Resident Visa.


Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

Do I need an appointment to apply for the visa?

Yes. It is essential that you make an appointment for all visa applications.

I have been accepted to a short course (less than 6 months). Do I need to apply for a temporary resident student visa?

No. If you are an Australian passport holder, you can study in Mexico for up to six months by entering Mexico on your valid Australian passport. If you have a different nationality, you might need to apply for a Mexican Visitor Visa. You can check whether or not you need a Visitor Visa and how to apply here: Visitor visa for Mexico.

Do Temporary Resident Student Visas allow me to work in Mexico?

No. However, you may apply for a work permit at the National Migration Institute (INM) once you are in Mexico. You can read more information here (in Spanish): Obtención de permiso de trabajo.



Consular Section

Embassy of Mexico in Australia

14 Perth Avenue, Yarralumla, ACT 2600

+61 (02) 6273 3963

Esta dirección de correo electrónico está siendo protegida contra los robots de spam. Necesita tener JavaScript habilitado para poder verlo.