Important Announcements

The Embassy of Mexico in Canada informs the public that Canadian nationals and permanent residents of Canada do not require a visa to enter Mexico.

Canadian nationals must present a valid passport to prove their nationality. Mexican authorities do not require a minimum period of validity of passports; nevertheless, this document must be valid at the time of entry and during the period you wish to be in Mexico.

Permanent residents of Canada must present their Permanent Resident Card and one of the following documents: valid Passport or Refugee Travel Document.

All foreign visitors, regardless of their nationality, traveling to Mexico for tourism, business or in transit to another destination, are exempt from presenting a Mexican visa as long as they have a valid visa issued by any the following countries: Canada, Japan, the United States of America, the United Kingdom or any of the countries comprising the Schengen Area.

Legalization of documents

As of June 16, 2015, the legalization of school transcripts of grades and/or diplomas issued by Canadian institutions of primary, middle, and high school levels is no longer required for revalidation purposes in Mexico.

Note: School transcripts of grades and/or diplomas from post-secondary institutions still require legalization for revalidation in Mexico.

Migratory Regulations – Travel of minors

A Decree was published on December 2, 2013, reforming the provisions of the Migratory Law Regulation corresponding to the travel of minors under 18 years of age; this took effect on January 24, 2014.

FOREIGN MINORS (UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE) TRAVELLING TO MEXICO ALONE OR WITH A THIRD PARTY OF LEGAL AGE (GRANDPARENT, AUNT/UNCLE, ETC.) AS VISITORS (TOURISTS OR WITH A SHORT STUDY STAY OF UP TO 180 DAYS), DO NOT REQUIRE authorization or a letter of consent from their parents or guardians. Mexican migratory authorities will allow these minors to leave Mexico upon presentation of a valid passport.

The Canadian government requirements for minors departing or entering Canada may be consulted at the following webpage:


Minors under 18 years of age (girls, boys, adolescents or those under legal guardianship) who are of Mexican nationality or foreigners holding the migratory status of Permanent Resident, Temporary Resident or Temporary Student Resident, who are in Mexico and wish to travel abroad alone or accompanied by a person of legal age other than one of their parents, must present:

  1. Notarized document in which those holding parental authority or guardianship authorize the minor’s departure from Mexico, granted before a Notary Public or Commissioner of Oaths, or;
  2. The document issued by the National Migration Institute (INM), in the format published for this purpose, available at the following webpage:

If the parents or holders of parental authority or guardianship choose to authorize the minor’s departure from Mexico with the document granted before a Notary Public or Commissioner of Oaths, the document must specify the mode of transportation, destination and date of travel. If this document is issued abroad (Canada) it must be legalized at the Mexican Consulate or the Embassy of Mexico in Canada. In addition, this document must be accompanied by a translation into Spanish. Mexican offices abroad do not provide translation services.

Minors under the age of 18 travelling with at least one of their parents or guardians DO NOT require authorization or a letter of consent.

Criminal record

Immigration authorities may decide to refuse the request to enter the country if the applicant is subject to criminal process or has been convicted of a serious crime as defined by national laws on criminal matters or provisions in international treaties or conventions that the Mexican State is party to, or if the applicant’s background in Mexico or abroad could compromise national or public security, in accordance with Article 43 of the Migration Law.

According to Article 194 of the Federal Code on Criminal Proceedings, serious crimes include all crimes that have a significant, negative effect on the fundamental values of society.

Serious crimes include, among others: manslaughter; terrorism and international terrorism; sabotage; piracy; genocide; prison break; attacks on public thoroughfares; drug-related crimes; corruption of minors; child pornography; exploitation of minors; falsifying and counterfeit of currency; rape; highway robbery; trafficking in minors; trafficking in undocumented persons; aggravated robbery; vehicular theft; extortion; crimes against the environment, committed with intent; forced disappearance of persons; bearing arms reserved for the exclusive use of the Army, Navy or Air Force; smuggling into the country firearms not reserved for the exclusive use of the Army, Navy or Air Force; smuggling and comparable crimes, and; tax fraud and comparable crimes.


At the point of entry, Mexico's immigration officers (INAMI) are the only authority that can accept or refuse the entry of any traveller into Mexico, regardless of whether the traveller has previously attained a visa or is exempt from obtaining one.

Please be aware of some of the questions you may be asked by viewing this document:

New Electronic Multiple Migratory Form for Air Travel (FMME Aérea)

Learn about the new Electronic Multiple Migratory Form for Air Travel (FMME Aérea) which facilitates and expedites the registration of your entry to Mexico.

To obtain this form, you must:

  1. Go to the following link:
  2. Fill out the application from any electronic device connected to the Internet.
  3. Print the Multiple Migratory Form and keep it with you to be validated at the airport, where the immigration authorities must stamp it.

Once the form has been printed, it will be valid for 30 days and allow foreign visitors to remain in Mexico (without engaging in paid activities) for up to 180 days.

The traditional way of obtaining the FMM at ports of entry is still in force. The FMME Aérea is an additional option to the traditional practice, and will facilitate the process by enabling the user to fill out the form in advance, from any country.

It is very important to keep the stamped portion of the FMM that corresponds to the record of entry, as this is proof of your legal entry into Mexico and will be required when you leave the country.

For further information, consult:

If you are in doubt please send an email to the following address: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or contact the closest Mexican Consulate.


Please note that you will need to book an appointment once you have the requirements by contacting us at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for the Embassy of Mexico in Ottawa or contact your closest mexican consulate to do so.

It is strongly recommended that you do not book your trip or make additional plans until you have gone through the process, the interview with the Consul and your visa is approved.

Visitors who do not require a Visa, with a stay up to 180 days
Visitor Visa without permission to conduct remunerated activities
Visa with permission to conduct remunerated activities
Permanent Resident Visa
Temporary Resident Visa
Visa due to theft, loss or destruction of temporary or permanent resident card
Diplomatic or official Visa
Student Temporary Resident Visa
Visitor Visa to conduct Adoption Proceedings

Services for Foreigners

Travelling to Mexico by land
Household goods
Acquisition of Real Estate in Mexico
Power of attorney
Document legalization
Marriage in Mexico
Consumer protection
Taking food and plants to Mexico
Taking pets to Mexico
Money Exchange Policy in Mexico
Tax refund for foreign tourists
Sport fishing in Mexico
Emergencies in Mexican waters