A person holding a temporary resident and temporary student visa or Card may bring, temporarily, his or her household goods to Mexico duty free. Also, holders of permanent resident card or visa may bring permanently his or her household goods to Mexico duty free. In these instances, you can obtain a certificate from the nearest Consulate. Household goods include: furniture, linens, books, clothes, scientific and art work (as long as these are not collections for exhibitions or galleries), etc. A vehicle is not considered a household good.

To obtain a household import certificate the following documents must be submitted:

  1. Temporary or Permanent Resident visa issued by a Consular Office or Temporary or Permanent Resident card issued by the National Migration Institute (INM).
  2. Valid Canadian Passport
  3. A typed letter addressed to the nearest Mexican Consulate Office providing the current address in Canada and complete address of residence in Mexico.
  4. A typed list in Spanish of all of the household goods specifying quantity and description of each item, as well as the brand, model and serial numbers of electronic appliances. The letter and household list mentioned above should be signed in four original sets.
  5. Payment of consular fee (cash only).


• The import of household goods of Temporary Resident and Temporary Student is temporary and only for the period that your immigration card remains valid. You must maintain updated your immigration status in Mexico and notify the customs authorities in case of change of address while in Mexico. You must also bring back your household goods when returning to Canada.
• This household certificate allows you to bring into Mexico your household goods only when these items are imported no later than six months after your first entry.
• Mexican customs will require a copy of your Migratory Form (FMM stamped by the  Mexican migratory authorities) or your  Temporary or Permanent Mexican Resident Card.
• It is required to hire a custom broker at the port of entry.
• You may import your household goods only once.