Frequently asked questions

Citizens of the following countries do not need a visa to engage in non-remunerated activities (tourism, transit, business, studies, journalism, technical assistance, etc.) for less than 180 days.

Also, no visa is required for any foreigner, regardless of his/her nationality, who has:

a)    A document confirming that she/he has permanent residence in Canada, USA, Japan, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or any of the of the Schengen countries, or

b)    A valid visa for the United States of America.

More information here.

In Swedish.

Mexican authorities do not require a minimum period of validity for passports. Nevertheless, the document must be valid at the time of entry and during the period you wish to stay in Mexico.

Travellers are allowed to take their medications as part of their baggage and duty free allowance. If the medications contain psychotropic substances, a prescription from the doctor will be required, along with a certified translation into Spanish.

Adults can travel with up to 10 packs of cigarettes, 25 cigars,  or 200 grams of tobacco, as well as up to 3 liters of liquor/alcoholic beverages and 6 liters of wine. For the complete list of products allowed per person, visit this link:

No vaccines are required to enter Mexico.


I.    Documentation verification at OISA

The owner must present the Certificate of Export of Animal Health (Health Certificate) in original and copies issued by the Federal Authority of the country where the pet is arriving from or by an authorized veterinarian from the country where the pet is flying from.

The certificate issued by a veterinarian must be on his/her official letterhead, with the veterinarian’s professional registration number, in original, and should not be more than 10 days old by the time the pet arrives into Mexico.

The certificate must indicate:

    Name and address of the exporter and importer, as well as information identifying the pet and the final destination.

    Information about the rabies vaccine, specifying the date of application and its validity. Animals less than three months old are exempt from this requirement.

    That the animal or animals have been subjected to a preventive treatment against internal and external parasites within six months prior to their arrival into Mexico and that they are free of external parasites.

    That during the clinical inspection performed prior to the trip to Mexico the pet was found healthy.

If the health certificate does not include one of the requirements mentioned in the above, the owner can submit the vaccination card (original and copy), provided that it includes the missing requirements. Also, the owner can contact a veterinarian of his/her choosing to apply the treatments that are missing. In this case, owner should pay all applicable costs.

II.    Physical inspection of pets at OISA

The description of the pet in the certificate must be accurate and the officer in charge will verify it, as well as the pet’s overall health and lack of external parasites.


If during the physical inspection it is determined that the pet is not free from external parasites, a veterinarian will apply the appropriate treatment. This treatment will be charged to the owner.

III.   Issue of Animal Health Certificate for Import by OISA

Once the criteria has been met, the official OISA personnel will issue the Animal Health Certificate for Import.

No payment is necessary for one or two pets.For three or more pets, a fee of $ 1,620.00 Mexican pesos will be charged. In the event of three or more pets, the Customs authority shall transfer the pets to the cargo area, where the inspection will take place.


-          Further documents may be required by the authorities, if necessary.

-          Bedding and accessories will not be allowed during the examination process, although a food ration will be permitted.

For more information, please contact OISA staff at the port of entry.

Arrival into Mexico without the required documentation.

The pet or pets will remain at the Sanitary Inspection Office until a veterinarian can examine them to verify whether they are healthy, and the rabies vaccination and anti-parasites treatment will be applied. The owner must cover all expenses incurred in this instance.

Importing animals other than dogs and cats (reptiles, birds, ferrets, turtles, etc.)

Theowner must comply with special requirements established in the Hoja de Requisitos Zoosanitarios, distributed at the regional offices of SAGARPA or at the service counter of Directorate General of Animal Health located at Avenida Cuauhtémoc No. 1230, Col. Santa Cruz Atoyac, Del. Benito Juárez, CP 03310, Mexico, D.F.; Monday through Friday from 09:00 to 13:00 hrs, Tel:  +52 (55) 5905-1066+52 (55) 5905-1066 and +52 (55) 5905-1072+52 (55) 5905-1072 .

Note: this information is available here.

For more information, complaints or suggestions, please write to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Swedish documents should be apostilled by a Swedish Notary Public (Notarius Publicus). Link.

Mexican Embassies and Consulates do not issue apostilles.

The requirements for marriage in Mexico may be slightly different in each of the 31 States and the Federal District. Therefore, foreigners wishing to get married in Mexico must directly contact the competent authorities where they intend to get married.

In general terms, the requirements are:

Valid passport.

Valid Mexican entry documents (i.e. FMM, visas).

Birth certificates**.

Fill out an application at the Registry Office.

Present the appropriate certificate** if either party is divorced or widowed.

Pre-nuptial medical certificate which must be obtained in Mexico.

Four witnesses with an official identification.

Payment of fees at Civil Registry Office.

Complete the Pre-nuptial Agreement where the parties must specify whether they wish to get married under the system of Joint Ownership Property (sociedad conyugal) or under a Non-joint Ownership Property (separación de bienes).

** All foreign documents listed above must be "apostilled" or legalised in their country of origin and translated into Spanish by a certified translator in Mexico.

You can get information at