Basic information about Mexico
Official name: United Mexican States.
Official Language: Spanish and has over 66 Indian languages.
Currency: Mexican Peso.
Territory: Mexico covers an area of 1,964,375 km2, of which 1,959,248 km2 is land area and 5,127 km2 were insular surface. In this territory should be added the Exclusive Economic Zone of the territorial sea, covering 3,149,920 km2, so the country's total area is 5,114,295 km2. Extreme coordinates framing the Mexican territory are:
- North: 32 ° 43 '06'' north latitude, at Monument 206, on the border with the United States of America (3,152.90 kilometers).
- South: 14 ° 32 '27'' north latitude, at the mouth of the river Suchiate border with Guatemala (1,149.8 kilometers).
- This: 86 ° 42 '36'' W, in the extreme southwest of Isla Mujeres.
- West: 118 ° 27 '24'' W, in the Point Elephant Rock at the Guadalupe Island, in the Pacific Ocean.
The Federal District (Mexico City) is the Capital of Mexico, where the Government host the power of the union (Executive, Legislative and Judicial). Political division of Mexico consists of 32 states: Aguascalientes, Baja California, Baja California Sur , Campeche, Coahuila, Colima, Chiapas, Chihuahua, Durango, Mexico City, Guanajuato, Guerrero, Hidalgo, Jalisco, Mexico, Michoacan, Morelos, Nayarit, Nuevo León, Oaxaca, Puebla, Queretaro, Quintana Roo, San Luis Potosi, Sinaloa, Sonora, Tabasco, Tamaulipas, Tlaxcala, Veracruz, Yucatán, and Zacatecas.
Border: The Mexican Republic has borders with: United States, Guatemala and Belize over a total of 4.301 kilometers distributed as follows:
- With the United States of America, a boundary line extends over 3,152 km from the 258 Monument northwest of Tijuana to the mouth of the Rio Grande into the Gulf of Mexico. The neighboring states at the north of the country: Baja California, Sonora, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo Leon and Tamaulipas.
- The border with Guatemala has an area of 956 km, with neighboring states: Chiapas, Tabasco, Campeche and Quintana Roo.
- The land border with Belize is 193 km and the maritime boundary is 85,266 km along the Bay of Chetumal. The state that borders with Belize is Quintana Roo.
Population: Mexico has a population of more than 120 million inhabitants.
On page of the National Institute of Statistics and Geography you can get more information about the geography of Mexico (location in the world, orography, hydrography, climate, population, etc.).
Government: The form of political organization in Mexico is that of a Representative Republic, Democratic, Federal, composed of free and sovereign in all matters relating to their internal government, but united in a Federation.
The head of the executive branch is the President of the Republic of Mexico, currently Mr. Enrique Peña Nieto (2012-2018).
The data provided by this means are not binding and are for reference purposes, so the Foreign Secretary assumes no responsibility for the information contained herein.Since the conditions of services may change frequently, users are advised to personally contact the Embassy and / or Consulate respective to make sure this information is accurate before making any transaction