MEXICO WILL OPEN HONORARY CONSULATES IN CARDIFF AND MANCHESTER
LONDON, United Kingdom, 11th march 2015. - In order to expand the presence of Mexico in the UK, the Government of Mexico will establish two Honorary Consulates in the cities of Cardiff, Wales, and Manchester, England, respectively.
The opening of these two new offices will strengthen the promotion of Mexico in the economic, commercial, cultural and touristic areas and will increase exchanges and cooperation in education, science and technology, mainly in the northern and western areas of the UK, where there is great potential for the development of strategic links with Mexico.
In his recent State Visit, the President of Mexico Enrique Peña Nieto had the opportunity to greet and thank the new Honorary Consuls for accepting this assignment and reiterated the importance of strengthening the bonds of friendship between Mexico and the UK. He instructed both of them to consolidate the presence of our country with the various stakeholders in the regions of Manchester and Wales.
The Honorary Consulates may be a conduit of rapprochement between the Mexican community established in these geographical areas and the Embassy of Mexico to the UK, in order to provide consular services and assistance when needed.
The UK is the main European country in terms of tourism to Mexico, and the third most important to our country just surpassed by the United States and Canada. Also, the UK is the 6th largest trading partner and the 4th investor in Mexico, among the 28 countries of the European Union. As regards education and culture, the two countries have strengthened cooperation in the training of human resources. The United Kingdom is currently the second destination of choice for Mexican nationals to study abroad.
Honorary Consulate in Cardiff, Wales
- The Government of Mexico appointed Mr. Glynn James Pegler, as Honorary Consul in Cardiff. He is a businessman, founder and CEO of Culture Group, a company which provides creative marketing solutions for enterprise organisations, entertainment channels and youth brands.
- Mr. Pegler has extensive experience as a tourism, cultural and trade developer. It is noteworthy to mention that he has been appointed as "Ambassador for the Welsh Capital City" and "Business Champion for Wales" by the Welsh Government. He was also appointed "Ambassador of the United Kingdom to the European Cultural Parliament and recognized by "The Institute of Welsh Affairs" for his outstanding contribution to the arts, media and creative industries.
- He was selected among the 10 entrepreneurs representing the UK at the G20 summit in France and was responsible for organizing the delegation of young entrepreneurs in the UK at the G20 summit in Mexico. Also in 2013 he took part on the British Parliament Select Committee on Small and Medium Enterprises, called "The Road to Success"
- The Honorary Consulate of Mexico in Wales will have a matching constituency with the administrative division of this region, in the capital, Cardiff.
Honoray Consulate in Manchester, England
- The Government of Mexico also elected as Honorary Consul to Manchester the businessman Timothy Scott Hayes, who has extensive experience in the field of business and an outstanding track record in matters of renewable energy and clean energy technologies. He is founder and president of the company Ener-G Limited which offers a range of energy and sustainable technologies.
- Mr. Scott´s Company offers services in Mexico on a large scale, particularly in the Bajio region (Celaya and Aguascalientes cities) and helped to establish mechanisms for energy efficiency in the automotive sector industry.
- The Honorary Consulate in Manchester will have a constituency comprising the areas of North of England also known as North West, North East, Yorkshire and the Humber; with capital in the city of Manchester.
The Embassy of Mexico, through its Consular Section, will announce shortly the official opening date of both Honorary Consular offices.