July 7th, 2016
The Ministries of the Interior and Foreign Affairs launched a strategy to strengthen policies oriented towards social reintegration of Mexicans repatriated from the U.S.
After the recession that shocked the world economy in 2009, migration flows between Mexico and the United States reached net zero. This means that the number of Mexicans who return to the country is virtually equal to the number of those who decide to emigrate.
According to the National Survey of Demographic Dynamics of the National Institute of Statistics and Geography, between 2009 and 2014, roughly 1 million Mexicans and their families returned to Mexico from the United States. According to the U.S. Census, during this same period, a little over 870,000 people entered the country from Mexico.
In this context, the Government of Mexico, through the Ministries of the Interior and Foreign Affairs, launched the strategy "Somos Mexicanos: Aquí Tienes las Puertas Abiertas/We Are Mexicans: You have the doors open here".
The goal of this program is to strengthen the social reintegration of Mexicans repatriated to the country, as well as their social and cultural ties with Mexico. It is also aimed at ensuring their return is dignified, productive and beneficial, in order promote their well-being as well as national and regional development.
To that end, both agencies have committed to:
- Optimize coordination in the care of returnees.
- Strengthen the impact of the various programs of assistance to returnees, as well as cross-cutting measures, according to the different needs of the reception or destination places.
- Facilitate the access of repatriated Mexicans to social programs and initiatives.
- Collect data from the returnees to determine their education, work, and family history, as well as their origin and identity. This will make it possible to diagnose their needs and propose programs and actions for their comprehensive care.
- Offer attention and protection to repatriated Mexicans under a human rights-based approach, including gender perspective, the best interests of children and special attention to vulnerable groups.