Ottawa, Canada, June 4, 2014
On June 2, the Ambassador of Mexico to Canada, Francisco Suárez Dávila, participated as a speaker in the seminar “Opportunities for Western Canada in Mexico’s Energy Reform”, offered by the Canada West Foundation. The event, which was held at the Calgary Petroleum Club, aimed to highlight the main elements of the Energy Reform and investment opportunities available to the Canadian energy sector. The seminar, which was covered extensively by local and national media, was attended by business leaders, government officials and academics specializing in energy.
In addition to the Ambassador, the Mexican government delegation participating in the seminar included the Undersecretary of Planning and Transition from the Secretariat of Energy, Leonardo Beltrán, and the Director General of Energy and Extractive Activities from SEMARNAT, Galo Galeana. Other speakers at the event included the Executive President of the consulting firm EnergeA StructurA, Dr. Jesús Reyes Heroles, the Vice President of Grupo Alfa, and representatives from the Mexican Competitiveness Institute.
On June 3, Undersecretary Beltrán and the Ambassador participated in a briefing session coordinated by the Mexican Consulate in Calgary, at the University of Calgary’s School of Public Policy. In addition to the Mexican officials, presentations were given by representatives of the National Energy Board and Alberta Energy Regulators, regulatory bodies in the energy sector at the federal and provincial levels, the energy engineering company K’nowbe Knowledge and the geological data firm Canadian Discovery. During the session the government departments and Canadian companies shared best practices in regulatory matters and technical training.
In order to increase cooperation and academic exchange with Alberta, the Mexican delegation also met with the Vice-Provost - International at the University of Calgary, Janaka Ruwanpura. Participants in the meeting agreed to work towards establishing a Mexico Chair, as well as other mechanisms of exchange among researchers and experts on energy issues.
For further information on the Canada West Foundation seminar, please visit the organization’s website at http://cwf.ca/ or review the media coverage of the event:
- Mexico looks for Alberta energy expertise as monopoly ends. CBC News Calgary.
- Mexico energy reform & opportunities for Canada to invest. BNN. Interview with former Secretary of Energy, Jesús Reyes Heroles.
- Mexico to spend nearly $300B on oil & gas in next 4 years. BNN. Interview with the Undersecretary of Planning and Transition at the Secretariat of Energy, Leonardo Beltrán.
- What Canada can gain from working closer with Mexico. BNN. Interview with Mike Cleland from the Canada West Foundation.
- Mexico, Canada talk oil deals. National Post. Claudia Cattaneo, p.FP1.
- Mexico pitches newly reformed energy sector for Canadian investment. The Canadian Press. Lauren Krugel (Calgary Herald, p.C5)
- Mexico courts energy investment. Edmonton Journal, p.D2.