Mexican border card
(Formerly known as FMVL or Border Card)

Belizeans, Guatemalan, Hondurans, Salvadorans and permanent residents can apply for the Mexican Border Card exclusively at the immigration office (INM) located at the Subteniente Lopez Border - “Chactemal”.

Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm (Chetumal time).
No appointment is necessary.

This card facilitates a faster entry into Mexico and allows a stay of up to 7 (seven) consecutive days within the Mexican states of Quintana Roo, Campeche, Tabasco, Chiapas and Yucatan. Please note this Card does not entitle to travel to other Mexican states such as Mexico City.

The Regional Visitor Card does not entitle the holder to work in Mexico.

Holders are exempt from paying any exit fee in Mexico. The card is free of cost and valid for 5 consecutive years.

1. To apply in person, including minors.
2. Valid passport + photocopy of the page which includes holder’s information.

  • Nationals from other countries with a Belizean permanent residence can apply with the original + photocopy of their passport and the residence card or stamp + photocopy.
  • In the case of minors, they must be accompanied by either both parents or the legal guardian. In their absence, parents will have to sign a written authorization certified by a Justice of the Peace + photocopy.

When renewing the TVR card, applicants will submit the same documentation plus the expired card.

Important notice:
Former FMVL cards are no longer accepted since November 8th, 2013. Holders should apply for a Regional Visitor Card in replacement of the FMVL.

  • The replacement is free of cost. Holders will have to submit only their passport + photocopy and the original FMVL.