Do I need an appointment to apply for passports and visas?
Yes. It is essential that you make an appointment for passport and visa applications using our online system. Please refer to the Section on Passports and Visas to learn how to book an appointment online. 

My family and I would like to visit Mexico. Do all members of the family need to come to the embassy?
Yes. All applicants for passports, visas etc must submit their original documentation in person. If the applicant is under 18 years of age, he or she must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. 

I want to visit Mexico. Do I need to apply for a Visitor visa?
A visitor visa allows you to stay in Mexico for a period of up to 180 days if carrying out any unpaid activities (i.e. this includes volunteering and attending business meetings among others, as long as you are absolutely sure that no monetary earnings will be derived from your presence in Mexico). However, depending on your nationality you may or may not need a visitor visa to enter Mexico.

If you are an Australian or New Zealand Passport holder, you do NOT require a visa to enter Mexico as a tourist for a period of up to 180 days.

For other nationalities, please refer to the visa section on this website to learn if you need a visitor visa.

If you need a Mexican visitor visa, please note that you can also enter Mexico without a Mexican visa if you hold a permanent resident visa of any of the following countries:

  • Canada
  • United States
  • UK
  • Japan
  • Any country of the Schengen Space

Note: If the exemptions do not apply, you will need to apply for a Mexican visa. For more information on visa requirements, please visit the visa section on this website.

Can I work in Mexico on a tourist visa?
You cannot work in Mexico on a tourist visa and you also cannot try to find permanent employment while in Mexico. 

Are there any requirements to enter Mexico as a tourist?
No fixed amount of money or return ticket is needed to enter Mexico. However, be aware that upon your entrance, immigration officers might ask to provide evidence that you have a) enough money to support yourself during your stay, and that there is b) sufficient reason to believe that you will leave the country, if entering as a tourist. It is suggested that you carry your flight tickets, hotel reservations and travel itineraries as proof of your intended activities in the country.

Ultimately, it is the decision of the immigration agent to allow or refuse entrance to Mexico. 

I would like to work in Mexico. How do I get a working visa?
In order to get a Mexican working visa, you need a Mexican work permit from the National Institute of Migration (Instituto Nacional de Migración – INM). First, you must find a potential employer in Mexico who is willing to sponsor you. Then the sponsor must apply for a work permit at the National Institute of Migration (INM). After INM has authorised a work permit, you will be sent a copy, which you must bring to the embassy to apply for a work visa. Please refer to the visa section of our website to learn more about this process.

Can I convert my visitor visa to a work visa while in Mexico?
No. You must first find a Mexican sponsor who will apply for a work permit at the National Institute of Migration and enter the country on a temporary resident visa with work permit. Please visit the visa section on this website to learn more. 

If my flight to Mexico has a layover in the US, do I need a US visa?
Be aware most flights departing from Australia into Mexico have layovers in the United States, so in most cases you will need to apply for a US visa. If a US visa is granted (this includes transit visas), you will NOT need a visa to enter Mexico (this does not apply for ESTA or electronic authorizations for travel into the US). 

Do I need a working visa if I am going to Mexico on exchange or for a short study program?
If you have an Australian passport, you do not need a visa to enter Mexico to undertake study or courses only if the total length of the stay in Mexico does not exceed 180 days. However, if your studies will exceed 180 days, you will need to apply for a student visa. Please refer to the visa section of this website to learn about the requirements to apply for a student visa. 

Can I work on a student visa in Mexico?
No. A student visa or temporary residence visa does not allow you to work in Mexico. 

Can I work on a temporary residence visa in Mexico?
A temporary residence visa does not allow you to work in Mexico. However, it is possible to enter Mexico on this visa and to apply within Mexico for a work permit, provided you find a company or organisation willing to employ you. The prospective employer will need to initiate the process before Mexican immigration.

If I want to conduct business in Mexico, do I need a business visa?
A visitor visa will allow you to stay up to 180 days in Mexico and conduct business meetings, as long as no income will derive in Mexico for your activities.

If you are a business person within the APEC region (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation) and have a APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC), you do not need a visa to enter Mexico short term. You can travel in Mexico for up to three months.

If you have a job offer in Mexico, you will need to apply for a temporary resident visa with work permit. Please refer to the visa section of this website for more information about the requirements for this visa. 

My passport is about to expire. Can I apply for a visa?
Your passport must be valid for at least six months after date of entry in Mexico. This applies for all visas, including business visas, tourist visas, temporary residence visas and student visas.

I’m married to a Mexican citizen. Can I apply for the Mexican permanent resident visa or to the Mexican citizenship?
As the spouse of a Mexican national, you can apply for a temporary resident visa to live in Mexico. However, you cannot apply for the permanent residence solely on the basis of your marriage. Please refer to our visa section to learn about the requirements to apply for temporary and permanent visas.

To become a Mexican national, you need to comply with certain requirements, including having lived in Mexico for a set amount of time. You can apply for the Mexican citizenship in Mexico. For more information, visit this link: Naturalización y Normatividad.


How can I apply to renew my passport?
The information on how to renew your passport is available on the Embassy’s website following this link: Pasaportes .

What should I do if my passport is lost or stolen?
If your passport was stolen or lost, you should report it to the local police to prevent someone from misusing it.

To request a new passport, you will need to comply with all the requirements as those requesting a Mexican passport for the first time. If you are visiting Australia or have an emergency to leave the country, you can process an emergency passport. Information for the processing of passports for loss / theft and emergency passports is available on our website following this link: Pasaportes .

How can I get an emergency passport?
The Embassy will only issue urgent passports the same day (with a maximum validity of one year) in case of emergencies. In these cases, it is absolutely necessary to present documentation that supports the issuance of an emergency passport: confirmed travel itineraries, etc. For more information, visit the emergency passports section here: Pasaportes .

How far in advance can I renew my passport?
It is recommended that you renew your passport at least six months before its expiration date. In case you are planning a trip abroad or an Australian visa change soon, check your passport expiration date and consider that the passports that are processed at the embassy are delivered between 3 and 5 weeks after your appointment.

Can I renew my passport remotely or by mail? Do I have to travel to Canberra for the process?
Due to the current security measures in the new Mexican passports, their physical presence is necessary for the passport process. In this sense, it is not possible to process passports remotely or by mail, so you must go to the embassy (by appointment) or to the Mobile Consulates that the embassy carries out every year in different cities in Australia. To be aware of the activities of the embassy, including the holding of upcoming mobile consulates, you can register in our database here: Registro de Mexicanos en Australia .

However, if you are facing extraordinary circumstances that impede you from attending an appointment, please contact the Embassy so we can explore the options available to you.

I’m married to an Australian and changed my surname in Australia. Can I get a Mexican passport with my new name?
All Mexican passports are issued with your legal name in Mexico, that is, the name that appears on your birth certificate. If you have not legally changed your name in Mexico, the passport will be issued with your maiden surnames. However, when renewing your passport, you can present your marriage certificate so that the spouse's last name is included in an additional space. The document must be presented in original and have been issued in Mexico or Australia, otherwise, it must have an apostille or legalization (depending on the issuing country) and its translation into Spanish (if it is not in either Spanish or English).

If you use your married name in Australia and have not legally changed your name in Mexico, it is recommended that you keep your Mexican passport permanently valid, in order to be able to fully prove your identity and nationality in any future process before Mexican authorities.

What happens to my Australian visa when I renew my Mexican passport?
If you renew your passport, the passport number will change. Because the Australian visa is electronically linked to the passport number with which you processed it, you must inform the Australian authorities of the change. This procedure can be done in the IMMIACCOUNT system if you processed your visa directly or through the immigration agent who assisted you to obtain the visa.

I have my current US visa affixed to my previous passport; which passport should I use to travel to the United States?
If you have a valid US visa affixed to your old passport and have a new valid passport, each time you pass through the United States you must travel with both passports (current and expired) for the remaining duration of your US visa.

I have dual Australian / Mexican nationality, can I enter Mexico with my Australian passport?
If you are Mexican by birth, you must identify yourself as Mexican before the Mexican authorities, particularly when entering or leaving Mexico. If you are a Mexican national by birth and travel on a foreign passport, you might receive a fine when entering and/or leaving Mexico.

Only one parent can attend the appointment to renew the passport of an underage Mexican national. Can my child obtain his/her passport without the presence of the other parent?
The issuance of passports for underage Mexican nationals requires the explicit authorisation from both parents. This authorisation is usually granted on the same day of the appointment in person. However, if one of the parents cannot attend the appointment, he/she can grant their authorisation at any embassy or consulate of Mexico abroad, or at any delegation of the Secretary of Foreign Affairs (SRE) in Mexico prior to the appointment at the embassy. Alternatively, they can grant a power of attorney explicitly authorising the issuance of the new passport, indicating clearly the validity of the new passport.

The father/mother of my children is Mexican, but we have not registered him at the embassy or at the Civil Registry in Mexico. Can he apply for his/her Mexican passport?
The Mexican nationality at birth can be obtained either by being born in Mexico or by being born to a Mexican parent abroad. However, for your child to claim his/her Mexican citizenship, they need to be registered either at the Embassy/Consulate of Mexico or at any Civil Registry Office in Mexico. Once they are registered, they will obtain a Mexican birth certificate, which will allow them to apply for a Mexican passport. You can read more information on this website on the sections of Birth Certificates and passports.


What places should I visit in Mexico?
For information about travelling to Mexico and places to visit, please visit: Visit Mexico .

Is there a minimum validity requirement on passports to enter Mexico?
Mexico does not enforce a minimum validity requirement on your passport when entering the country, as long as it is valid for the whole stay in Mexico.

What is a FMM?
A FMM (Forma Migratoria Múltiple) or Multiple Migratory Form, is a migration form issued by the immigration authority in Mexico upon arrival (air or land). It is a temporary permit that will allow you (at the discretion of the immigration authority) to remain up to 180 days in the country. You will need to carry your FMM (or a copy of it) with you at all times.

It is VERY important that you hand the FMM over to immigration authorities upon exiting Mexico, as this constitutes proof of exit. If you plan to re-enter Mexico, a new FMM will have to be issued and paid for.

The FMM will be given to you at the entry point into Mexico, but you can also complete it online up to 30 days prior to your arrival in Mexico. For more information, please visit: Forma Migratoria Múltiple (FMM) .

What happens if I forget to surrender my FMM when leaving Mexico?
If you do not surrender your FMM when exiting Mexico, it is recommended that the next time you visit Mexico, you carry proof that demonstrates you left on the mentioned date (plane/bus tickets etc).

Are there any requirements for travelling with minors?
Technically, there are no additional requirements for one of the parents to enter/exit Mexico with a child other than a valid passport, provided the children is not a Mexican national or currently holds a temporary resident/temporary resident student visa.

However, it is recommended that you should travel with the original birth certificate for each minor, and an authorisation letter signed by the other parent, in case immigration authorities request additional information regarding the identity of the parents. Please note that there are no direct flights between Australia and Mexico and the countries where you transit en route to Mexico may have additional requirements for travelling with minors.

Are there any specific vaccinations required to enter Mexico?
Travellers entering Mexico from flights from Australia, North America and Europe do not need special vaccinations to enter Mexico. However, if you are entering Mexico from a different country, regardless of your nationality, you might need a vaccination. It is recommended that you consult your doctor about any required vaccinations before travelling to Mexico.

Can I use my Australian license to drive in Mexico?
To drive in Mexico, you must have a valid Australian driver’s license. However, Mexican car rental companies or local authorities may also require additional documentation, such as a certified translation of your license into Spanish.

You can also travel with an International Driving Permit (IDP that allows you to drive in a number of overseas countries. However, an IDP cannot be used as a substitute for a driving license, therefore it must be used in conjunction to a current Australian license.

Can I travel to Mexico with pets?
To import pets into Mexico, you must meet the requirements of the National Department of Health, Food Safety and Food Quality, SENASICA. The pet will be screened at the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Offices (OISA) located at international airports, border crossings and international seaports.

The requirements are listed on the following website: Tu mascota viaja contigo .

Are there any tax limits on what I can bring to Mexico?
In Mexico, there are certain limits on what you can bring into the country for the purposes of tax exemption. For example, you can bring goods for personal use that will last for the duration of the trip and select quantities of items such as video cameras, sport equipment and toys. In addition, passengers arriving to Mexico by land can import up to $150 USD worth of additional merchandise. If arriving by air, passengers can import up to $500 USD worth of merchandise.

For more information, on what you can and can’t bring into Mexico, please visit this link: Welcome to Mexico .

What medicine can I take to Mexico?
Foreign nationals under medical treatment of controlled substances and psychotropic drugs in form of medicines must:

  • Declare them upon entrance to customs, and present a medical prescription or a licence issued by competent authority.
  • The prescription must contain name of the doctor authorising the prescription, his signature, contact details (telephone, address) and professional register.
  • The medical prescription or licence must also state amount of the substance required by the patient during her or his stay in Mexico, the amount bringing into the country and the daily dose.
  • The drugs must not exceed the amount required for your stay in the country.
  • The prescription must be translated into Spanish by a certified translator (see NAATI).

I am a foreign national in Mexico and I need assistance from my country’s embassy. What embassies and consulates are there in Mexico?
To access an official list of embassies and consulates in Mexico, please consult this website: Misiones Extranjeras Acreditadas en México .

What is the emergency number in Mexico?
To access emergency services (police, medical and fire) in Mexico, dial 911.

Can I visit Mexico with a criminal record?
Mexican law permits immigration officials to refuse entry into Mexico if the passenger has been convicted or charged of a serious crime, such as manslaughter or terrorism. As in any other country, minor offenses usually don’t affect entry to Mexico. However, immigration officials will ultimately make the decision depending on the gravity of offences, which may result in refusal of entry or deportation.


What is an apostille?
An apostille is a certification that a document issued by the government or public authority is authentic.

Since both Mexico and Australia are signatories of The Hague Convention of Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents, legalisation is not needed for either Australian documents to be used in Mexico and vice versa. It is required, however, that the documents are issued with an apostille.

If the document is issued in Mexico, the authority responsible for issuing the apostille is either the Federal Ministry of Interior or the Ministries of Interior of the states. If the documents are issued in Australia, the authority in charge of the apostille is the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).

What kinds of documents need to be apostilled?
Any documents public in nature (i.e. issued by government body) needs to be apostilled. For other documents, such as commercial documents, a notarised certification, along with an apostille on the notary’s seal, should suffice.

How do I get my Australian documents apostilled?
For more information about how to obtain an apostille for Australian documents, please check:

How do I get my Mexican documents apostilled?
In accordance with Mexican law, the authority responsible for issuing apostilles is the Ministry of Government in Mexico (for documents issued at the federal level). In the case that the document you wish to apostille has been issued by a state authority, the apostille must be issued at the Secretary of Government of the corresponding federal state. Unfortunately, documents cannot be apostilled at the embassy, and must be completed directly in Mexico, either personally or through a third person in Mexico.

Please consult the following link for more information: Apostilla .


How do I get married in Mexico?
Marriage is the responsibility of the federal states or districts of Mexico. For a marriage to be legally binding in Mexico, the marriage must take place at a Civil Registry in any municipality of Mexico. Each state in Mexico has its own marriage requirements for Mexican citizens and foreigners. Therefore, it is recommended that you consult the civil registry of the state you wish to be married in. Furthermore, any religious ceremonies, such as marriages in churches, are not recognised by the Mexican government, therefore these marriages are not considered valid in Australia or other foreign countries. For the marriage to be valid, it must occur before an official of the Civil Registry.

However, at the very least you will have to show an apostilled birth certificate translated into Spanish along with a valid passport.

If you intend on returning to Australia after the marriage, please note that, for the Mexican marriage certificate to be valid overseas, it must be apostilled by the relevant authority in the state in Mexico where the marriage took place.

How do I get divorced in Australia if I got married in Mexico?
For a marriage to be legally binding in Mexico (and in Australia), the marriage has to take place at a Civil Registry in any municipality of Mexico. In addition, the marriage certificate must be apostilled by the relevant authority to ensure it is valid overseas. Furthermore, any religious ceremonies, such as a marriage in a church, are not recognised by the Mexican government, therefore these marriages are not considered valid in Australia or other foreign countries.

To get divorced in Australia, your marriage must be legally binding in Mexico. If you meet the requirements, you must provide the court with a copy of your marriage certificate which must be translated to English and certified by the translator.

For more information about the requirements, please consult this link: Divorce.

For the divorce to be valid in Mexico, you must obtain a homologation of sentence in Mexico. Please consult with a lawyer in Mexico how to obtain this homologation.

Alternatively, you can appoint an attorney in Mexico to process the divorce on your behalf. You can request a power of attorney at the embassy for this purpose. Please refer to the “Power of Attorney” Section on this website.


What is the difference between a Police Clearance certificate and Constancia de Datos Registrales?
The difference between a Records Certificate (Constancia de Datos Registrales) and a Police Clearance certificate (la Constancia de Antecedentes no Penales) is that a records certificate only requires written information, while a Police Clearance Certificate requires sets of finger prints.

How do I get a police check from Mexico?
Please refer to the “Police Check” section of this website to learn how to apply for a police check in Mexico.





Consular Section

Embassy of Mexico in Australia

Address: 14 Perth Avenue, Yarralumla, ACT 2600
Email: Esta dirección de correo electrónico está siendo protegida contra los robots de spam. Necesita tener JavaScript habilitado para poder verlo.
Phone: +61 (02) 6273 3963