Visto: 19082


General Description

There are two types of national police clearance certificates you can obtain from Mexico:

·    The National Police Clearance Certificate (Constancia de antecedents no penales en materia federal) issued by the Órgano Administrativo Desconcentrado de Prevención y Readaptación Social (OADPRS), dependant on the Secretary of Security and Citizen Protection (Secretaría de Seguridad y Protección Ciudadana - SSPC), and

·         The Records Certificate (Constancia de Datos Registrales) which is issued by the General Prosecutor’s Office (Fiscalía General de la República - FGR).

 State governments also issue local police clearance certificates, but they are not valid for migratory purposes in Australia as they are not national police checks.

Neither of these police clearance certificate can be obtained directly at the Embassy of Mexico in Australia. 

To request either of these certificates, it is indispensable that you have a supporting letter issued by an official authority, such as the Embassy of Mexico (more information below).


To learn how to request this certificate, visit the following OADPRS website.

The CNAP must be requested in person only at the OADPR offices in Mexico City. If you live outside of Mexico, it may be processed by a first-degree relative (parent, child, sibling, or spouse) by presenting a simple authorization letter signed by the applicant and two witnesses (with copies of their identifications), or by presenting a special power of attorney. You can find an example of a simple authorization letter here: Support letter Form.

For further information, please check with the OADPRS.


The records certificate (Constancia de Datos Registrales) issued by the General Prosecutor’s Office (FGR – previously Procuraduría General de la República PGR) is a document that verifies if an individual, Mexican national or foreigner, has any records from previous investigations either from the local or federal jurisdiction.

This certificate can be requested in person at the FGR offices in Mexico City or at any Attorney General’s state office. Applicants who live outside Mexico can give a simple power of attorney or authorization letter to someone else to request the certificate on their behalf. You can find an example of a simple authorization letter here: Support letter Form.

The information and requirements to apply for a records certificate are available on their website:  

As part of the requirements for the Records Certificate, you will need to present an official document with your fingerprints taken, either from a police station or from the embassy. 

If you wish to have your fingerprints taken at the Embassy, please call us (02 62733 963) or email us (Esta dirección de correo electrónico está siendo protegida contra los robots de spam. Necesita tener JavaScript habilitado para poder verlo.) to book an appointment. You will be required to bring an official ID (original and a photocopy) and four passport size photos (white background, facial traits visible, no smiling, ears and forehead clear): two taken from the front and another two from the side (profile).

How to obtain the supporting letter from the embassy? 

To obtain the supporting letter from the embassy you will need to apply in person at the Embassy of Mexico in Canberra. It is necessary to request an appointment by email (Esta dirección de correo electrónico está siendo protegida contra los robots de spam. Necesita tener JavaScript habilitado para poder verlo.) or phone (02 62 733 963). On the day of the appointment, you will be required to show the following documents (in original and photocopy):

1.        Official photo ID (passport or driver’s licence).

2.        Mexican birth certificate (for Mexican citizens that do not show their Mexican passports)

3.       Complete form to request the letter. (Download here) 

4.        Document that shows that the police check is being required by a public institution in Australia.

The support letter will be issued on the same day of the appointment. If you cannot pick up the letter from the embassy, please leave a self-addressed envelope so the embassy can post the letter to you.

If you cannot come personally to the embassy, you can post by mail a copy of your documents, certified by a justice of peace or notary public in Australia, along with a self-addressed envelope to the Embassy:

Embassy of Mexico

Consular Section

14 Perth Ave.



Letters of support for police checks are free of charge.

Police checks cannot be obtained at the Embassy of Mexico. If you need further information about either of these documents, you must contact directly the OADPRS or the FGR.

You are advised to check carefully which certificate you are requesting. A letter of support to apply for a CNAP will not be accepted to apply for a Records Certificate, and viceversa.


Can I request a police clearance certificate through the Embassy?

No, it is not possible to request a police certificate through this Embassy.

Can someone else request the supporting letter on my behalf?

No, this is a personal matter and should be requested by the main applicant.

Will they issue my police clearance certificate if I do not present a letter from the Embassy or from other institution?

No, the supporting letter from the Embassy is part of the documents you need to submit in Mexico to obtain your police check certificate.

How long does it take for the letter of support to be ready?

If you make an appointment at the embassy, the letter is issued on the same day. For applications by post, the time may vary depending on the number of applications received, but they are usually issued within a period of 1 to 3 business days. Please note that depending on the self-addressed envelope that you send, the letter of support may take one to two days (Express Post), three to five days (Registered Post) or more than two weeks (regular envelope) to arrive at your address after being issued.

Should I send original documents to Mexico?

Original documents can be lost in the mail, so it is very risky sending them by post.

In many cases, copies of your documents with the embassy seal are accepted to process the police check without having to provide the original document.

However, you can also request at the embassy a comparison certificate (“certificado de cotejo”), which will certify that a copy of your document is true to the original. To obtain that certificate, please email (Esta dirección de correo electrónico está siendo protegida contra los robots de spam. Necesita tener JavaScript habilitado para poder verlo.) or call us (02 62 733 963) to book an appointment. You will be required to bring the original document that you want to certify, two photocopies, an official ID and pay in cash the cost of the certificate.

Alternatively, you can contact directly the SSPC or FGR offices in Mexico to enquiry if they accept copies signed by a Notary Public in Australia.

How can I get my certificate if I do not have any relatives in Mexico?

If you do not have any relatives or friends in Mexico you could you can appoint a lawyer or solicitor to request the the Records Certificate from the FGR.