Consular Section Print

Important: Travelling to Mexico? Check the Reference List for foodstuff products that you are allowed to travel with.



Holders of valid NZ Passports (with at least six months validity at the date of entry into Mexico) do not require a visa.

At the port of entry for those arriving by land or sea, or on board flights into Mexico, a tourist card will be distributed. The card must be completed, stating the length of stay (which can be up to six months, with multiple entries). Mexican immigration authorities may ask for proof of solvency (an international credit card is sufficient).

The bottom part of the card (exit form) should be stored in a safe place as it must be returned on departure from Mexico.

Tourist cards are provided free of charge, but an entry tax of US$20.00 must be paid at the port of entry by those arriving by land or sea. Those entering the country by air will already have paid this tax as part of their airfare.

Visitors attending a conference can also travel as tourists, provided that they are not receiving payment from Mexican organizations. If this is the case, a business visa will be required.

Please be aware that tourists are not allowed to work in Mexico.

If you are not a New Zealand passport holder, please check whether or not you require a visa by visiting the links below:

Countries and regions that require a visa to enter Mexico

Countries and regions that DO NOT require a visa to enter Mexico

If you are holding a passport that requires a visa, please check the requisites for the issuing of a Tourist Visa.

Please note that as of 1 May 2010, nationals of all countries who already have a valid visa to enter the United States will not also need a visa to enter Mexico.


If the purpose of your visit to Mexico is to conduct scientific, technical, business or investment activities, please contact the Consular Section: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Enquiries can only be accepted by e-mail and responses will be sent within 48 hours of receipt.

Auckland: Level 5, Lowndes Associates House, 18 Shortland Street, Auckland.

Information: (09) 373 3331

Christchurch: 9 Good Street, Rangiora

Information: (03) 311 8008


A)   Valid passport

B)   Proof of income that shows ability to cover study and living expenses; documentation from parents / tutors / other family members who will be financing the studies; or evidence that a scholarship has been granted.

C)   If the applicant has been accepted by an academic institution, a letter must be presented from that institution with the following information:

1. Full name of the applicant, date of birth and passport number

2. Name of the course for which he/she has been accepted

3. Start date of the course and closing date for enrolments4. Estimated duration or closing date of the course

4. Cost of enrolment.

5. Conditions of acceptance or registration, such as academic requirements, previous grades, proficiency in the language, etc.

6. Identification information about the educational institution, including whether or not it is officially recognised.

7. Name, address, telephone number and e-mail address of the person within the educational institution who is responsible for confirming the information set out in the acceptance letter.

All of the above must be emailed to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Once the Embassy has reviewed the application, the student will be contacted to arrange for this interview. Successful applicants will receive the visa later that same day.


A)   Valid passport

B)   Presentation letter from the media organisation by whom the applicant is employed

C)   Formal record of the holding of the event that is to be covered.

D)   Personal appearance at the Embassy’s Consular Section.

Working Holiday Scheme

The Working Holiday Scheme (WHS) agreement signed by New Zealand and Mexico allows young New Zealanders and Mexicans (between 18 and 30 years of age) to holiday in the guest country for up to one year. There will be up to 200 places offered annually.

The Government of Mexico will require any citizen of New Zealand who has entered Mexico through the Scheme to abide by the laws and regulations of Mexico and not to engage in employment contrary to the purposes of the Scheme. Participants will not be authorised to engage in permanent employment during their stay and may not work for the same employer for a period longer than three (3) months. They may participate in one training or study course of up to three (3) months in length.

Mexican Embassies and Consulates worldwide will, on application from a New Zealand citizen, issue an official receipt which can then be presented at any National Migration Office in Mexico in exchange for a migratory form.  This form will be valid for a period of twelve (12) months from the date of arrival in Mexico for any person who satisfies all of the following requirements:

(a)       is a citizen of New Zealand;

(b)       satisfies the visa officer that his/her primary intention is to holiday in Mexico, with employment being an incidental rather than a primary reason for the visit;

(c)       is aged between eighteen (18) and thirty (30) years of age inclusive, at the time of application;

(d)       is not accompanied by dependants;

(e)       possesses a valid New Zealand passport;

(f)        possesses a return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket;

(g)       possesses sufficient funds for his/her maintenance during the period of stay in Mexico, at the discretion of the relevant authorities;

(h)       pays the prescribed migratory form application fee; and

(i)        holds medical and comprehensive hospitalization insurance to remain in force throughout his/her stay in Mexico.

The application process in New Zealand is as follows:

  1. Applicants must send all of the following documents scanned to the following mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
    • First page of New Zealand passport valid for at least one year from the intended date of entry.
    • Completed visa application form
    • Signed letter describing main activities and planned destinations while travelling in Mexico.
    • Medical insurance policy, including comprehensive hospitalization allowance, valid for at least one year from the intended date of entry.
    • Proof of solvency or a signed letter from the person who will provide financial backing along with proof of solvency for that person.

N.B.: For proof of solvency - one of the following must be provided to demonstrate that the applicant will have sufficient funds to cover return airfares and expenses while in Mexico:

a) a letter from the place of work outlining salary and the period of time spent working for the company (salary must be at least US$500 monthly);
b) a current savings account statement (at least US$2,000 yearly average);
c) a credit card statement showing credit limit (at least US$1,000); or
d) a certificate of title for a property, in the name of the applicant or sponsor.

Once the aforementioned documents are received and reviewed in the Embassy, applicants will be asked to make an appointment for a personal interview with a consular officer at the Embassy in Wellington.

If the interviewee is successful in his/her application, the migratory form will be ready for collection later that same day.

The visa fee will be informed by e-mail.

Once in Mexico, the applicant should obtain from the Instituto Nacional de Migración the working permit, which has a cost of $3,242.99 Mexican Pesos.

Getting married

Find the perfect Scenario...

As requirements for foreigners wishing to get married in Mexico may vary slightly from State to State, the Embassy recommends that you contact the selected Registry Office at your earliest convenience and that you visit in person as soon as you arrive in Mexico.

General requirements:

1.   Passports.

2.   Valid Mexican entry documents (e.g. tourist cards, visas or  FM3s).

3.   Birth certificates.*

4.   Both parties must be at least 18 years of age.

5.   An application form must be completed at the Registry Office.

6.   If either party is divorced or widowed, the appropriate certificate must be presented. *

7.   A pre-nuptial medical certificate must be obtained in Mexico. The Registry Office will provide a list of authorised medical centres.

8.   Four witnesses must attend with official identification.

9.   The corresponding Registry Office fees must be paid.

10. The pre-nuptial agreement must be completed whereby the parties specify whether they wish to get married under the system of Joint Property Ownership (sociedad conyugal) or under Non-joint Property Ownership (separación de bienes).

The above foreign documents marked with an asterisk (*) must be “apostilled” (or legalised) in their country of origin and translated into Spanish by a registered translator in Mexico. Alternatively, the translations can be done outside of Mexico, but in that case they too must be apostilled.

For information about obtaining the apostille stamp for New Zealand documents, please contact the Authentication Unit of the Department of Internal Affairs:

RECOMMENDATION: After the ceremony and before leaving Mexico, it is advisable to obtain certified copies of the marriage certificate and apostille them there in order to be able to attest to their validity in your home country. Please enquire about this procedure at the Registry Office in Mexico.


Mexico and New Zealand are both members of the Hague Convention and, as such, recognize apostille certificates issued in the other country.

Those wishing to have documents authenticated in New Zealand for presentation in Mexico need to obtain the apostille certificate from the Department of Internal Affairs.

No further legalisation or Embassy certification is required.

Police Clearance

Solicitud de Antecedentes Penales - Mexican Police Clearance



The Mexican Embassy in NZ do not intervene in this procedure at any stage.



Last Updated on Monday, 09 July 2012 21:32

México, Algunos derechos reservados